Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Peter Pan and Peter Rabbit

I decided after our success with Charlotte's Webb, we would move on to another great classic, Peter Pan!  I was excited about this book, just imagining Ty learning about pirates, fairies, and mermaids.  This would be awesome!!!  However, it really wasn't as engaging for Ty.  The different use of language, the crazy amount of new words, new concepts ideas, it's all great exposure right?  Right.  But he didn't soak this book in like Charlott'e's Webb.  It was great to read aloud to him, I personally enjoyed doing my best pirate voice and accent, but it was just a little too much, a little too soon.  I also edited a few parts myself by removing a few "bad words" and not telling him that they killed the pirates and such, just that they fought.  That was not something I really wished to expose him to.  I didn't give up though, hoping to expose him to new words, ideas, and such.  Just hoping that this exposure creates curiosity!  I did enjoy the pictures, but T-Rex thought all of the people on the front cover were girls because of their long hair. Ha!



We also got Peter Rabbit, another classic - but this one he LOVED.  We read it a lot.  He enjoyed it so much and I am glad we read it over and over.  Great little book for a 3 year old!  I would even say to do this one before Charlotte's Webb, if you wanted to.  


Those are our readings for the month! (Plus all of the other little kid stories and books from the local library...which is awesome!)  

No comments:

Post a Comment